First day of farm school - momgineer

First day of farm school


It's that time of year again! This is the 5th year big kid has done a program at a local farm. He spent two years of preschool there, then I set up a homeschooling program one afternoon a week while little kid was in preschool. Last year, they both did the homeschooling program together. This is likely their last 10-week session, as I think they feel like they are feeling a little done with farm school. Maybe they will miss it over winter and want to go back in spring, but if not, I am okay with it. They have learned so much there that I never would have been able to teach them: practical farm chores, so much fun in nature, and with wonderful teachers.





That's their group way in the distance. I didn't want to disturb them by getting too close! Some of the things they did: hiked up to an area with a really large rock, found a really cool and unusual caterpillar, found lots of turkey feathers, and I have no idea what else. They apparently never remember what they did or don't like to talk about it much. I will need to ask the other parents and instructors for some details. =)
momgineer Meredith Anderson

STEM education is my passion!

2 comments:

  1. Farm School? How cool is that?! Fair season is beginning here, and our 4-H agent posted this on FB, “If you would like a letter that aligns showing livestock with the standards for your child's grade level to help you with getting them out of school for showing . . .” Farms are an educational goldmine; I wish more educators would take advantage of them.
    Glad your boys had a great time!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! It really has been a wonderful program. This particular farm is located at an Audubon where they also care for injured wild animals, so there is a wealth of information to be discovered there. I sometimes wish I could go to farm school, too!

      Delete