|Locking it up!|
Something great about this is that it is very inviting to open up the vault again and review the words. They become vocabulary flash cards, and are wonderful for review. I know that every student in my second grade class had one of these but you could have a class word vault instead! There is a lot of room for differentiation. Here are a few ideas:
- Add word roots (Latin, Greek, etc.) and words with the same root.
- Write the word in more than one language.
- Print the word and write it in cursive (we should be starting cursive soon so I think we'll do this).
- Draw a picture of what the word means.
- Take out all the word cards and mix them up. Set the stopwatch to see how fast you can alphabetize them!
I told H that once he writes his word, and learns what it means, he can lock it up and it's his forever. I sure do hope that is true!